Recommendation requested

Robert Downes nullentropy at lineone.net
Fri Sep 5 08:18:30 PDT 2003

Can anyone recommend to me a DVD drive (with CD-ROM capability) that
FreeBSD does not seem to have any trouble using? Or, if none of you
think there's any point in having a DVD drive in FreeBSD, a good CD drive.

I bought a new Shuttle system recently just for FreeBSD, and I somehow
managed to choose the only CD-ROM drive that FreeBSD 5.0 doesn't seem to
recognise. A Samsung SC-152 CD-ROM drive that WinXP is quite happy with,
but FreeBSD sysinstall just says "CD drive? What CD drive?"

So, can anyone recommend a DVD+CD-ROM drive that they are
as-good-as-certain will appear unto FreeBSD 5.0 and above?
---
Bob