More secure permissions for /root and /etc/sysctl.conf

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 01:46:25 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 at 03:05, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
wrote:

> c) The default for home directories in all the BSD's I looked at
>    are 755.
>
> d) All distributions I looked at ship /root as 755.  This would be
>    FreeBSD as the odd man out.

I just spun up a few other BSD's to check this, and found the following for
/root permissions:

DragonFlyBSD 5.6.2 = 700
HardenedBSD build 104 = 755
NetBSD 9.0 RC1 = 755
OpenBSD 6.6 = 700

For what it's worth, I am broadly supportive of this because I see no
reason for /root to be world readable.

Given this change only affects new installations, I think the
"astonishment" can be reduced by including an entry in the release notes.

Regards,
Ben