More secure permissions for /root and /etc/sysctl.conf

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Sat Feb 1 19:05:04 UTC 2020

> Hi Rodney,
>
> first, thanks for all the input I received from various people. I updated the differential and backed out the changes to /etc/sysctl.conf. I wasn?t aware that sysctl can be invoked from anybody.
>
> In the corrected differential [1] I changed the permission for /root to 0750 in the hope that this could be integrated into FreeBSD. I know that people shouldn?t store sensitive information in /root but I have seen it to often in the past.

I still can not support that as a change:
a) It has been 755 for 26 years on FreeBSD and also as long as
   I can remeber (aka v4 research).  Changing it would be a POLA
   violation.

b) No known security flaw has been shown other than user error.

c) The default for home directories in all the BSD's I looked at
   are 755.

d) All distributions I looked at ship /root as 755.  This would be
   FreeBSD as the odd man out.

e) This still appears to be an attempt to impose ones own preferences
   as defaults upon the community.  Defaults are resonable, but not
   necessarily correct for everyone.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org