Vendor Imports in Subversion

Emmanuel Vadot manu at bidouilliste.com
Wed Dec 9 12:54:42 UTC 2020

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 23:47:18 -0700
Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The git working group is making final preparations for the cut over in two
> weeks (currently planned to start December 19). There's one item that's
> caused some recent problems that we'd like to ask the committer's help on:
> vendor imports. We've had a few vendor imports of late that have caused
> problems for the git converter. Imports should be done from the top level
> so that the merge info winds up in the right place. uqs@ has added code to
> defensive code to detect the recent problems, but we're not sure it will
> catch everything.
>
> So, over the next two weeks, we'd like to ask that committers refrain from
> doing vendor imports in the src tree for those cases where delay is
> possible. For vendor imports that can't wait, due to security or other
> serious issues, please coordinate with git at freebsd.org before doing the
> vendor import. If there's a confidential matter, you can contact me (
> imp at freebsd.org) or the core team instead.
>
> Thanks for your understanding...
>
> Warner
> On behalf of the git working group

 So,
 I wanted to import 5.9 and 5.10 dts before 13.0 and also before the
switch to git to be sure that I did not screw things up.
 Also I don't see how vendor imports are supposed to work with git
subtree, I admit that I have only a recent and limited experience with
subtree. The other problem is that for dts we import everything from
upstream but only merge part of it (include, arm, arm64 and riscv
directory), is that supported ?
 More generaly is there a write up on how to use subtree for vendor
import already written ?

 Thanks,

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> <manu at freebsd.org>