Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 25 01:34:45 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 6:59 PM Rebecca Cran via freebsd-arch <
freebsd-arch at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 3/24/19 6:02 PM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>

> > Having efi_update_loader alone would be fine, but I doubt that this
> > script can do much except in situations where a lot of pre-assumptions
> > are true.  I believe that despite all the efforts put into efibootmgr
> > and installer, it is hard/impossible to make the script not dangerous,
> > except if the whole configuration was created by our installer.
>

> It currently does nothing except if there is one or more partitions of
> type 'efi' that contain a \efi\boot\boot${arch}.efi or
> \efi\freebsd\loader.efi that contain strings from the FreeBSD boot1.efi
> or loader.efi. Perhaps that's too much guessing, and we should only ever
> update /boot/msdos or /boot/efi or wherever we decide to mount it.

Right. We need a standard location (that maybe can be overridden, like you
can with /boot, if you really want), and that's likely the first order of
business. I don't think we should be second guessing, though. And we
shouldn't be touching \efi\boot anything unless specifically instructed to
do so. I'm deeply uncomfortable with guessing whether or not to do
something...

Warner