Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

Rebecca Cran rebecca at bluestop.org
Mon Mar 25 00:55:49 UTC 2019

On 3/24/19 6:02 PM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> Having efi_update_loader alone would be fine, but I doubt that this
> script can do much except in situations where a lot of pre-assumptions
> are true.  I believe that despite all the efforts put into efibootmgr
> and installer, it is hard/impossible to make the script not dangerous,
> except if the whole configuration was created by our installer.

It currently does nothing except if there is one or more partitions of
type 'efi' that contain a \efi\boot\boot${arch}.efi or
\efi\freebsd\loader.efi that contain strings from the FreeBSD boot1.efi
or loader.efi. Perhaps that's too much guessing, and we should only ever
update /boot/msdos or /boot/efi or wherever we decide to mount it.

--
Rebecca Cran