Regarding mentorship for GSOC 2019

Lorenzo Salvadore phascolarctos at protonmail.ch
Mon Apr 8 08:06:51 UTC 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday 8 April 2019 07:48, Mahesh Tudu <mahesh86701997 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> It's me again. Now I am left with only a single day and so I am getting a
> very uneasy feeling. Please help me with my issue, I really need a mentor
> to help me review my proposal. It would be very kind of you if you please
> respond with a positive answer as soon as possible.
>
> Thank You
>
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM Mahesh Tudu mahesh86701997 at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > It's me again. Now I am left with only a single day and so I am getting a
> > very uneasy feeling. Please help me with my issue, I really need a mentor
> > to help me review my proposal. It would be very kind of you if you please
> > respond with a positive answer as soon as possible.
> > Thanking You
> > On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM Mahesh Tudu mahesh86701997 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > Thank you for your response. Please help me solve my matter a bit faster
> > > as the days are passing by very fast and now there are just two days left.
> > > I am in a great need of a mentor to review my proposal before final
> > > submission.
> > > Thank You again.

Hello,

I would be glad to help you, unfortunately I do not have the knowledge (yet) to do so,
thus I will only try to point you in the right direction.

I think you already found the FreeBSD wiki pages about the Summer of Code, but if you
did not, here they are:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode
And in particular you are probably interested now in
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeStudentChecklist

I read you are suggested to write to the hackers mailing list as you are doing. However,
this mailing is list not much used, not as much as others and as irc at least; of course I hope
potential mentors are subscribed, but you are more likely to receive quick response if you also
join irc. I remember a few days ago someone talking about the Summer of Code, maybe
it was you (if it was you, I found cool your idea and I would probably benefit from its realization:
definitely hope you found your mentor!): try again and make it clear that you are in search
for a mentor.
We are always busy doing plenty of things, we might read quickly, see the cool
idea, but forget to notice about the mentorship need. Or, even worse, many of us use an irc
bouncer: thus we go to sleep or at work receiving everything, but when we come back at
irc we just look at things where we were mentioned. Since you do not know the name of
your future mentor, you cannot mention him and he would not see your request.
Thus, do not just say "I am searching for a mentor", say "do you know who could like to become my
mentor"? And someone will answer "maybe x". And x wil be mentioned and see it when
he comes back on irc.

It could also help you to get a copy of the source (see
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html ), enter into the directory that you would
most probably work with (for example, if you will work on virtual memory, sys/vm) then look
to the last people that worked in there with a "svn log -l5": they know the part of the source you
want to work on, then they have the technical knowledge needed for being your mentor. Then you
can try to contact them on irc or by e-mail.
For this last part you could find useful the following:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/IRC/Nicknames
https://people.freebsd.org/homepage.html
https://www.freebsd.org/administration.html

I wish you to find your mentor.