Sudden grow of memory in "Laundry" state

Robert robert.ayrapetyan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:25:53 UTC 2018

Sorry, that wasn't my output, mine (related to the screenshot I've sent
earlier) is:

Mem: 1701M Active, 20G Inact, 6225M Laundry, 2625M Wired, 280M Free
ARC: 116M Total, 6907K MFU, 53M MRU, 544K Anon, 711K Header, 55M Other
      6207K Compressed, 54M Uncompressed, 8.96:1 Ratio
Swap: 32G Total, 15G Used, 17G Free, 46% Inuse

I'm OK with a low "Free" memory if OS can effectively allocate from
"Inactive",

but I'm worrying about a sudden move of a huge piece of memory into
"Swap" without any relevant mmap calls.

My question is: what else (except mmap) may reduce "Free" memory and
increase "Laundry"\"Swap" in the system?

Thanks.