Sudden grow of memory in "Laundry" state

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 18:35:34 UTC 2018

On 2018-Oct-24, at 11:12 AM, Rozhuk Ivan <rozhuk.im at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:19:20 -0700
> Robert <robert.ayrapetyan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So the issue is still happening. Please check attached screenshot.
>> The green area is "inactive + cached + free".
>>
>>  . . .
>
> +1
> Mem: 845M Active, 19G Inact, 4322M Laundry, 6996M Wired, 1569M Buf, 617M Free
> Swap: 112G Total, 19M Used, 112G Free

Just a limited point based on my understanding of "Buf" in
top's display . . .

If "cached" means "Buf" in top's output, my understanding of Buf
is that it is not a distinct memory area. Instead it totals the
buffer space that is spread across multiple states: Active,
Inactive, Laundry, and possibly Wired(?).

In other words: TotalMemory = Active+Inact+Laundry+Wired+Free.
If Buf is added to that then there is double counting of
everything included in Buf and the total will be larger
than the TotalMemory.

Also Inact+Buf+Free may double count some of the Inact space,
the space that happens to be inactive buffer space.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went