Speculative: Rust for base system components

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Mon Dec 31 18:19:40 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 01:05:24PM -0500, Diane Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 09:36:18AM -0800, Enji Cooper wrote:
> >
> > > On Dec 31, 2018, at 7:02 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> > <offtopic>
> > At the end of the day, I think the key is that the FreeBSD project needs to start expressing more complicated subsystems in terms of OOP languages, like C++, Rust, etc, instead of expressing most of the code in C. I do think (for instance) a service management system would be a good candidate for modern C++ or Rust.
> > </offtopic>
>
> Well, as someone who remembers when Fortran was King and much systems(!)
> programming such as editors etc. was done in Fortran, I cheer on
> any effort moving on from the failed Fortran compiler 'C'.

All those Fortran codes from years ago, if written in
standard conforming Fortran, will still compile today.
J3 (Fortran standardization committee) goes to great
length to retain backwards compatiability with older
standards.  The latest revision to the language was
ratified as an international standard only a few weeks
ago.  https://wg5-fortran.org/f2018.html

--
Steve