Speculative: Rust for base system components

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Mon Dec 31 18:05:36 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 09:36:18AM -0800, Enji Cooper wrote:

> > On Dec 31, 2018, at 7:02 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> <offtopic>
> At the end of the day, I think the key is that the FreeBSD project needs to start expressing more complicated subsystems in terms of OOP languages, like C++, Rust, etc, instead of expressing most of the code in C. I do think (for instance) a service management system would be a good candidate for modern C++ or Rust.
> </offtopic>

Well, as someone who remembers when Fortran was King and much systems(!)
programming such as editors etc. was done in Fortran, I cheer on
any effort moving on from the failed Fortran compiler 'C'.

FWIW I happen to like Rust and Python. So um I'll just step back
and let others do the painting.

P.S. I prefer plaid green and orange with purple stripes.

<back into my hole with my popcorn>

--
- db at FreeBSD.org db at db.net http://artemis.db.net/~db