Announcing man-k.org

Abhinav Upadhyay er.abhinav.upadhyay at gmail.com
Mon May 15 06:20:44 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Abhinav Upadhyay <abhinav at netbsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Abhinav Upadhyay, I am a NetBSD user and developer. I would like to
> introduce http://man-k.org - a web interface to NetBSD's apropos(1). It is a
> full text search tool for man pages, providing support for searching FreeBSD,
> NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux and Posix man pages.
>
> Apart from full text search, the man pages have syntax highlighting (at least
> the mdoc(7) man pages have, see [1] for example). Also, the header includes in
> the man pages are hyperlinked to OpenGrok for looking up the header files
> (see [2] for an example).
>
> I have talked about it briefly at last year's EuroBSDCon and AsiaBSDCon in the
> context of applying machine learning to improve ranking in NetBSD's apropos(1).
> But it only had support for searching NetBSD man pages back then.
>
> I would like to invite you all to use it and let me know of any feedback or
> suggestions you might have to improve it. :-)
>
> [1]:http://man-k.org/man/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT/2/kevent
> [2]:http://man-k.org/man/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT/3/strtonum

While here, I would also like to note http://man-k.org/whatis - Which
allows to do whatis(1) kind of queries across platforms. So, if you
wanted to see which of the operating system releases ship with a given
function, utility, or driver, you could use this.

However, it is simply a whatis(1) query, so it only understands proper
man page names. :-)

The idea was suggested by Robert Elz (kre) on the NetBSD mailing list.

-
Abhinav