Source of QEMU woes: CPUTYPE

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Tue Apr 4 12:35:07 UTC 2017

A while ago I posted on here about some problems I'd had with testing
boot loader modifications on QEMU, and which also showed up on an
unmodified HEAD.

I ultimately tracked down the source of the problem: I had
CPUTYPE?=native set in my /etc/make.conf.  As my CPU is relatively
recent, this caused some instructions that QEMU doesn't support to be
generated in various places (most notoriously, in strlen), which would
trigger illegal instruction exceptions.  Removing the CPUTYPE?=native
line restores things to working order.

I'm posting this here, as it's somewhat non-obvious, and probably ought
to be documented somewhere.