relaunchd: a portable clone of launchd

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 23 21:43:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015, at 02:20, Jim Thompson wrote:

> > On Nov 18, 2015, at 1:32 AM, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, I agree that if we are going to replace a key component of the
> > system we may want to discuss which approach is best (launchd,
> > relaunchd, OpenRC, svc, etc...).
>
> And thus the bike shed begins before it's built.

I hope we defer the "discussion" to a roundtable between the actual
authors of launchd, relaunchd, and nosh and the affected parties:

* src committers who maintain things in base this will affect
* rc.subr shareholders
* portmgr (port rc scripts *cannot* break and need a migration path)

Lets not let this stagnate for years. Those who write the code get the
votes.

--
  Mark Felder
  ports-secteam member