libUCL / UCL as FreeBSD config question

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 20 21:18:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-20 15:46, Dan Partelly wrote:
> Allan,
>
> Thanks for clearing my confusion, and furthering my understanding on whats cooking on this front.
>
> The tool is dandy. I have another issue I want to ask about:
>
> concurrency. Is there any support in either uclib and the tools like uclcmd to ensure
> atomic access to the ucl files ? And not on advisory level, (although if utilities would respect
> adviasory looking … it would be better than nothing). I mean something on the lines
> of mandatory locking.
>
> Was the question of concurrency discussed ?
>
> Dan

Most of the discussion centered around the design of the config files,
and the library. My tool is in the early stages and was only briefly
discussed with the goal of showing the power of UCL from an automation
standpoint. Obviously uclcmd can use locking to ensure that two
instances do not overlap. Updates to the file would also be atomic (save
to tmpfile then rename into place), and it could check that the
modification date of the file has not changed since it was read, to
avoid overlapping any other access to the file.

In the end, I picture it being somewhat like 'vipw'

--
Allan Jude