Fw: FreeBSD smbfs horribly slow

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Fri Nov 13 19:20:56 UTC 2015

Hi;

It seems no one in @questions had any info/pointers/interest on this
so I'm trying @hackers for some light.

Thanks,

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:53:11 -0300
From: Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br>
To: freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Subject: FreeBSD smbfs horribly slow

Googling on this subject, I found:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-September/098717.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2013-January/034239.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-October/261804.html

I am on 10.2-STABLE and using FreeBSD as a client to any amb share
continues to be very slow.

The share is mounted through mount_smbfs. I tried smbnetfs (fuse) and
it is just a tiny bit better but doesn't compare to other clients
(linux or win) when writing/reading files

It gets even worse if an application is doing operations with variable
size records inside a data file on the share.

Does anyone have any advice to improve this?

Thanks,
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."