cluster FS?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at puchar.net
Tue Sep 30 11:23:26 UTC 2014

> It seems to me (just from reading the handbook)
> that none of NFS, HAST or iSCSI provide this.

none of following are filesystems at all. NFS is remote access to
filesystem, the rest presents raw block device.

> My specific needs are as follows.
> I have multiple nodes and a disk array.
> Each node is connected by fibre to the disk array.
> I want to have each node read/write access
> to all disks on disk array.
> So that if any node fails, the
> data is still accessible
> via the remaining nodes.

as disk array presents block devices, not files it is not possible to have
filesystem read write access with more than one computer to the same block
device.
There is no AFAIK filesystems that can communicate between nodes to
synchronize state after writes and prevent conflict.

> I want to have all nodes equal, i.e. no master/slave
> or server/client model. Also, the disk array
> provides adequate RAID already, so that is not

instead of using disk arrays (expensive) it's better to run FreeBSD as
file server with good deal of disks and connectivity and export
filesystems using eg. NFS.

you may do any RAID type and any filesystem not only cheaper but with
extra security - on disk format is known and open and you may access these
disks with any other computer running FreeBSD.