cluster FS?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 08:46:00 UTC 2014

Hello

Not sure if this is the right list...
I wanted to ask about a cluster file system.
Is there something like this on FreeBSD?

It seems to me (just from reading the handbook)
that none of NFS, HAST or iSCSI provide this.

My specific needs are as follows.
I have multiple nodes and a disk array.
Each node is connected by fibre to the disk array.
I want to have each node read/write access
to all disks on disk array.
So that if any node fails, the
data is still accessible
via the remaining nodes.

I want to have all nodes equal, i.e. no master/slave
or server/client model. Also, the disk array
provides adequate RAID already, so that is not
needed either.

In the archives I see that the demands for
a cluster FS support on FreeBSD have been expressed
periodically over a very long time, but seems
there's never been any resolution.
Some people mention GFS, but I've no idea
if this what I'm trying to describe.

So is what I'm describing a cluster FS at all?
Is there something like this on FreeBSD already?
Is there someting in ports that can be used
to achive this?

Thanks

Anton