dual network for single machine, possible bridge

Bruce A. Mah bmah at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 31 17:39:18 UTC 2014

If memory serves me right, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Dave Ng wrote this message on Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:02 -0800:
>> I have two networks at home, there are some wifi shenanigans going on
>> but for the point of this conversation I only mention the wired
>> ethernet. Two hub/switch setups, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x, they are
>> separate and they work great and life is good.
>> I am adding a single freebsd host with two NICs in it, one on each
>> network. No complications, right? Set the IP addresses manually and I
>> can participate in each network, using a single gateway off one of
>> them to reach the outside world. I think?
>> Next question, can I use this host to bridge the two networks?
>> Next next, assuming I can bridge, is there any way to do so
>> transparently for other hosts on either network? They are a mix of
>> OSX, windows, blah blah every OS.
>
> Basicly that means you need to setup up your box to forward packets:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-routing.html#network-dedicated-router
>
> Getting the routing working is a little bit more difficult but the
> handbook has useful instructions:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-routing.html
>
> You can use a routing daemon to advertise routes, but not all devices
> default to listening to routing advertisements and may need to be enabled...
>
> FreeBSD includes routed(8) that provides basic functionality...

Just an observation...the OP asked about "bridge" functionality and you
answered the question of how to make a router.  I think you answered the
question he *meant* to ask, but I'm not sure.  If he really wanted a
bridge, that's a completely different set of instructions (as we both
know FreeBSD is perfectly capable of doing *that* too).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-bridging.html

Bruce.