dual network for single machine, possible bridge

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Thu Jan 30 20:18:29 UTC 2014

Dave Ng wrote this message on Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:02 -0800:
> I have two networks at home, there are some wifi shenanigans going on
> but for the point of this conversation I only mention the wired
> ethernet. Two hub/switch setups, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x, they are
> separate and they work great and life is good.
> I am adding a single freebsd host with two NICs in it, one on each
> network. No complications, right? Set the IP addresses manually and I
> can participate in each network, using a single gateway off one of
> them to reach the outside world. I think?
> Next question, can I use this host to bridge the two networks?
> Next next, assuming I can bridge, is there any way to do so
> transparently for other hosts on either network? They are a mix of
> OSX, windows, blah blah every OS.

Basicly that means you need to setup up your box to forward packets:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-routing.html#network-dedicated-router

Getting the routing working is a little bit more difficult but the
handbook has useful instructions:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-routing.html

You can use a routing daemon to advertise routes, but not all devices
default to listening to routing advertisements and may need to be enabled...

FreeBSD includes routed(8) that provides basic functionality...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579