Continual benchmarking / regression testing?

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 13:29:52 UTC 2014

Hello all.
I'm working on something which could be used as CI / test tool.
I called this FreeBSD as Firmware, or FreeBSD-RO.

https://github.com/yerenkow/freebsd-vm-image/tree/master/freebsd-firmware

The main idea is that from source tree producing VMDK image, which can be
used in VirtualBox / Esxi / * , and to get this image working in readonly
via separating configs/data/packages into different disks.

I'm planning to extend build system to have snapshotted /usr/obj dirs and
make rebuilding even faster.

How I see typical workflow:

Prepare (or 'cleanup' ) stage:
* /zfs/src/src-stable-10  -  updated to latest source
* /zfs/src/src-stable-10 at R300000 -  snapshot of revision created
* clone created /zfs/src/src-stable-10-clone from snapshot
* kernel + world built
* /usr/obj snapshot taken;

* clone recreated /zfs/src/src-stable-10-clone from latest revision snapshot
* /usr/obj cloned from snapshot
* optional patches applied to cloned dir
* image build (with no cleaning at all, or cleaned only parts touched by
patches)

* image booted via VBOX
* image-OS run tests, upload results/logs
* image-OS shut down

That use case can be used both to regression testing and to new patches
test runs.
But, to make that happened, FreeBSD itself should provide some tests to be
run.

If someone would like to join in developing this - you are very welcome :)

--
Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow