vm+ipxe+pxeboot fail

amine tay amine.tay91 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 08:10:09 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Lately I had some problems, trying to get FreeBSD to PXE boot. (Actually
I'm using a VMware virtual machine.) First I'm using iPXE 1.0.0 and then
load and launch the FreeBSD pxeboot
<http://man.freebsd.org/pxeboot>loader. But I'm getting this :
http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45901
When using isc-dhcp as DHCP server I'm getting the error but when using
dnsmasq everything works fine.

The problem seems that the client when booting is sending 2 DHCP requests
and therefore gets two different IP addresses, the first one sent by the
ROM and the second one by the FreeBSD
pxeboot<http://man.freebsd.org/pxeboot>loader.

I found somewhere in some posts that the pxe.c file is doing a second
bootprequest because it fails to get cached DHCP data from the ROM.

Any help or more ideas would be appreciated.