Pointer to info on migrating from UFS2 -> ZFS?

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Tue Apr 22 01:40:26 UTC 2014

I’d probably suggest a couple things:
* VirtualBox (or equiv) for setting up test environments that are easy to create and destroy. For all the beginning stuff I can think of, you should be able to do just fine with a virtual environment. VMs with a half dozen virtual disks that are 2G ea come in handy with playing with ZFS.
* The (FreeBSD) handbook section (on ZFS) walks through examples, but doesn’t cover the theory
* For reading material, I’d probably start here: http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Documentation

I haven’t looked at the ZFS admin guide since around 2007, there will be some divergence between Soracle and the rest of the ZFS community, but most of it should apply. Likewise, the ZFS best practices, and performance tuning.

Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977