Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 19 12:25:10 UTC 2012

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:14:49 pm Mark Felder wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:11:28 -0500, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Just curious - does VMWare provide a remote debugger support (gdb stub)?
>
> I'm not aware of one. What I have been able to successfully do is break
> into the debugger during the hang but the info I've posted so far has not
> been relevant to anyone. I'm hoping someone on the core team will
> eventually be able to follow my guide and figure out what went wrong.

So the last e-mail I sent before this week I asked if you could get a
crashdump from DDB?  The "flswai" case you pointed to was a lock deadlock, and
having a crashdump would be really helpful for figuring out which threads were
deadlocked.

Barring a crashdump, capturing 'ps' output from DDB would be a good first step
(you can sanitize process names if you need to).  However, a crashdump that
you can use kgdb on will make debugging this significantly easier.

--
John Baldwin