Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Sat Sep 15 17:07:39 UTC 2012

On Sep 15, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Mark Felder <feld at feld.me> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 20:37:40 -0500, Mark Saad <nonesuch at longcount.org> wrote:
>
>> How do you have suj on 8.3 ? Are you using a patch ?
>
> I don't have suj on 8.3

I misread the prior emails

>> Also can you retest 9 with the following sysctlkern.timecounter.hardware=Acpi-fast
>
> Yes, I'll attempt that as soon as possible. We're under a tight deadline to migrate critical resources off of VMWare now so I don't know how soon I can test.
>
>> Also in esxi what setup options do you have for the vm's ?
>
> I'm not sure what ones I have off the top of my head, but VMWare support has previously poured over ever option to make sure nothing was misconfigured.

It's not that I doubt that , in my experience their support is not equipped to answer questions that don't start with " in my windows vm I have this issue ..."

>> Lastly do you have esxi setup to talk to a ntp server ? If so can you confirm that  it's working ? I mean the esxi host not the vm .
>
> Yes, and yes. We've got a reliable NTP infrastructure at work and ESXi is definitely using it.

Just checking this can cause odd issues .

What hardware is the esxi host server ? What are you using for the vm disks? Is the storage pool on local disks , iscsi , fiber channel , or nfs .

---
Mark saad | mark.saad at longcount.org