SMP Version of tar

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Oct 8 08:45:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:38:33AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >>gzip cannot - it is single stream.
> >
> >gunzip commutes with cat, so gzip
> >compression can be multi-threaded
> >by compressing separate blocks and
> >concatenating the result.
>
> right. but resulting file format must be different.

Not necessarily.  If I understand correctly what Tim means, he's talking
about an in-memory compression of several blocks by several separate
threads, and then - after all the threads have compressed their
respective blocks - writing out the result to the output file in order.
Of course, this would incur a small penalty in that the dictionary would
not be reused between blocks, but it might still be worth it.

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org peter at packetscale.com
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?