igb drivers and 8.1-RELEASE-p2

b. nyec bnyec at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 18:26:50 UTC 2011

Hi,
 I hope this is the proper place to ask this question, if not i do apologize.

 a little background, I have a few systems running 8.1-RELEASE-p2 with an Intel 82575EB Gigabit Card installed. I had a couple of the systems go down with a panic: page fault... (igb0 taskq).. I've done some searching and i haven't found a solid solution, Doing a PR search for "igb" i was unable to find a solution/patches (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi). No, unfortunately i do not have a stack trace/core dump as the systems have not been configured to generate the necessary dump information. (yeah, i have considered setting the machines properly to generate dumps, and know how, I've considered upgrade etc.., call me lazy. heh, i'll save that for a later date as this isn't mission critical right now ;) ) I also have 8.2-RELEASE-p2 systems with the same NIC installed that have not had any problems.

So, my question,
 Is it easily possible to use the igb drivers from 8.2-RELEASE on 8.1-RELEASE and load them as a module? If so what would be the best way to accomplish this ? This is more just a kind of exploration for myself rather than a "real" fix.

Thanks for any help.