sleep(3) hangs?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 4 13:07:13 UTC 2011

I have an "interesting" problem which is why I'm posting to the hackers@
list :)

The situation is: an 8-STABLE amd64 system from a few months ago running
on VMWare ESXi 5, which worked fine until today. Today, it looks like
anything which "sleeps" for whatever reasons (including select(2))
simply hanged without return. Commands like "iostat 1" and "sleep 1" hanged.

The timecounter was autodetected to HPET, hz was autoconfiguted to 100.

When I changed the timecounter to ACPI-safe, situation somewhat
normalized, but each second the machine sees (from "sleep 1") takes
around 3-4 wall-clock seconds.

I'm running the system as-is until a new kernel from todays sources is
built (in the hope that something will fix it). If anyone wants me to
experiment with the machine, tell me...