sysrc -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Thu Oct 7 04:49:07 UTC 2010

On 10/06/2010 23:29, Devin Teske wrote:

I am not saying this to sound like I am shooting down this script but
from the looks of it, I see no real advantage over the way a FreeBSD
system is configured already. You could probably point these out though.

With that noted what advantage does this script bring compared to a
script like service(8) that is already in the base system?

How much time does a end user spend enabling/disabling services for a
system?

How much of a difference in time would this make to the end user as per
say just having to echo a variable into an rc.conf?

If this would be put in place into the base system where would it be and
who would maintain it ?

Is it feasible to expect an end user to read rc.conf(5) services(8)
while also consuming knowledge of etc/defaults/rc.conf & boot(8) as well
sysctl.conf(5) and loader.conf(5).

Also you search for grep and awk in your script. If this were to be in
base, then utilities like this would not need to be searched for as base
utilities are generally static to where they live in the file-system
already... /usr/bin/grep /usr/bin/awk for example. I do not think it
makes much sense for a base utility to search outside of its world for a
executable especially for grep(1) and awk(1). Call these directly and
let the end user modify their PATH as to where the location of these
would actually be called from rather than adding extra complicity.

> -> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
> This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
> of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
> is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
> other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
> message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
> and delete the original message without making a copy.

Due to this disclaimer I am not sure that even the implicit BSD license
can override this. Though there is a thin gray line here, it might be
suitable to remove this from future email unless you are specifically
addressing something to a specific person.

Regards,

--

 jhell,v