Improve OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc

Tue Oct 5 09:34:33 UTC 2010

Quoting Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi at gmail.com> (from Tue, 5 Oct 2010
01:30:00 +0200):

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On the other hand, doing this (skipping those files) on each and every
>>> system
>>> update (say, on a development or testing machine) could get a bit... boring
>>> -
>>> not to mention that at some point you'll learn to "oh, just say no", and
>>> then
>>> forget to remove something important.
>>
>> Oh! I see... I want it in black.
>
> Hold your horses there ... get it to work as expected and then,
> _and_only_then_ you can start raising your finger and accussing poster
> of bikesheding ...
> As it stands, _it_sucks_ and I have already pointed it out before
> without much success (something as useless as telnet wasn´t deleted a
> not so long time ago) ... Peter Pentchev´s point was a completely
> valid one.

As the one who wrote the functionailty: The delete-old stuff is
designed to delete stuff which was installed by an installworld (or
similar) before, but is not installed by installworld (or similar)
now. As there may be old programs around which depend upon such a file
or directory, you have to explicitely tell if you are ok to delete it
or not (it is the responsability of the administrator to make sure
everything is OK). If you are sure no program still depends upon it
(make check-old), you can specify -DBATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES to delete
everything without being asked (see "man build").

As we've read in this thread that the files I would like to keep are
not installed by an installworld if the corresponding option is
specified, the patch is 100% correct and Peter and you want to use
delete-old for something it was not designed for (and I should discuss
somewhere else to install the files I talked about even if the
corresponding option is specified).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Detroit is Cleveland without the glitter.