virtual machine on mac os x 10.6 to run FreeBSD ?

Ross Nelson ross.nelson at me.com
Fri Mar 26 14:42:06 UTC 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 8:25 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Bob Bishop <rb at gid.co.uk> writes:
>> Jiandong Lu <lujiandong1001 at yahoo.com.cn> writes:
>>> hi,are there some virtual machines on mac os x 10.6 to run FreeBSD 8?
>> FreeBSD 8.0 runs fine on 10.6 under Parallels 5, but that does cost money.
>
> Isn't there a free-as-in-beer edition of VMWare?

VMware Server for Windows and Linux (as well as VMware Player on Windows) are both free as in beer, but there isn't a free VMware for Mac. VMware Fusion is $80USD and comparable to Parallels.

I had the same problem with VirtualBox not working on OS X. FreeBSD, QNX, Plan 9, and Windows all failed when I tried to partition and format the virtual disk. I'll have to try the Enable IO APIC option to see if that works for me.

Ross