A simple and hopefully usable FreeBSD live CD

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Aug 24 00:16:52 UTC 2010

From: Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com>

> I have, for longer than I can count, create my own livecds because the media
> that's produced have a shortcoming for some reason or other.

I automated my own build from sources (not .iso) of combined install
+ live CDROMs, a frighteningly long time ago:

  My top Makefile:
    -rw-r--r--  1 jhs  staff  128333 Apr 30  2004 Makefile
  The oldest custom printed bootable CDROM in my disc wallet is labelled:
  18 Aug 2001, FreeBSD-4.3; The newest is 2003.09.14, FreeBSD-4.8.

  Back then it was novel. FreeBSD did similar later.  I kept quiet
  at the time while negotiating with DrDobbs magazine & 1 or 2
  others, to try to get a FreeBSD CD issued with a magazine issue.
  Negotiations slowly fizzled out, & I never got round to releasing it.

Just archeological interest now, that Makefile,  The cdrom.ps
labels still format OK from the groff sources, 7 years on :-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Mail plain text,  Not HTML, quoted-printable & base 64 dumped with spam.