[Fwd: Failure to boot from HD formatted not by FreeBSD]

Andrew Lankford lankfordandrew at charter.net
Fri Oct 23 21:05:08 UTC 2009

I mentioned that I've set up my laptop to boot using the Windows Vista
boot menu.  I have, and I needed to copy /boot/boot1 from 7-stable to my
NTFS partition in order to successfully boot  to my FreeBSD 8.0
partition.  Last night, I tried replacing the 7-stable boot1 block with
a version from 8.0-RC1, and now it doesn't successfully boot.  I gather
from the 8.0 release notes that there have been some changes to some
part of the boot code.  In any case, I can boot via the Windows boot
menu with the help of 7-stable's /boot/boot1 file.

Hoping that helps ....

Andrew Lankford