Deprecating ps(1)s -w switch

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Aug 25 12:42:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 03:40:54AM -0700, Brian Somers wrote:
> I recently closed bin/137647 and had second thoughts after Ivan (the
> originator) challenged my reason for closing it.
>
> The suggestion is that ps's -w switch is a strange artifact that can
> be safely deprecated.  ps goes to great lengths to implement width
> limitations, and any time I've seen people not using -ww has either
> been a mistake or doesn't matter.  Using 'cut -c1-N' is also a great
> way of limiting widths if people really want that...
>
> I'd like to propose changing ps so that width limits are removed and
> '-w' is deprecated - ignored for now with a note in the man page
> saying that it will be removed in a future release.

Do you want to remove '-w' switch preserving '-ww' one? IMO this seems awkward.
Also, by ignoring it for now do you mean that behavior of ps with '-w'
switch would be the same as without it? I would prefer that '-w' == '-ww'.
One can remove all references to multiple 'w' switches from the man page
but leave ps itself insensitive to any number of 'w' switches
This also would be consistent with (for example)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ps&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Red+Hat+Linux%2Fi386+9&format=html

> Does anyone have any objections to doing this?  I don't propose
> merging this back into stable/8.

0.02$,
Alexey.