Deprecating ps(1)s -w switch

Brian Somers brian at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 25 11:09:37 UTC 2009

I recently closed bin/137647 and had second thoughts after Ivan (the
originator) challenged my reason for closing it.

The suggestion is that ps's -w switch is a strange artifact that can
be safely deprecated.  ps goes to great lengths to implement width
limitations, and any time I've seen people not using -ww has either
been a mistake or doesn't matter.  Using 'cut -c1-N' is also a great
way of limiting widths if people really want that...

I'd like to propose changing ps so that width limits are removed and
'-w' is deprecated - ignored for now with a note in the man page
saying that it will be removed in a future release.

Does anyone have any objections to doing this?  I don't propose
merging this back into stable/8.

--
Brian Somers                                          <brian at Awfulhak.org>
Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !               <brian at FreeBSD.org>