Tracing Wake on Lan problem?

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 10:13:24 UTC 2009

Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> Yes, but I'm trying to use Intel's driver at this point (since the
> stock 7.2R em driver, as stated, does not support WoL yet):
>
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1938&OSFullName=FreeBSD*&lang=eng&strOSs=52&submit=Go!
>

> And it does appear to offer support for WoL.  They (Intel) have
> functions in their if_em.c source file that sets up the WoL.  However,
> there is no IFCAP_WOL define in Intel's code, so maybe it does not
> interface with ifconfig correctly at this point?  I don't know.  I was
> hoping to get some pointers on where to look or how to tell.  Also,
> I'm not opposed to adding the WoL support - I'm not too bad in C -
> I've just never written a FreeBSD device driver and the excellent post
> by Stefan Sperling (referenced from the WoL wiki) seems to be too far
> out of date.
>
> The wiki itself states: "Note that the obsolete ioctl-based
> configuration approach is discussed there, but ifcaps should be used
> instead."
>
> So, not knowing anything about either ioctl-based or ifcaps config, I
> can't find any resources on how to get started in the right direction
> (hence my post to hackers).
>
> Also, if Intel's driver code works, it seems to me that it makes more
> sense to use their code for em devices, no?  Is there a copyright
> problem with that?
Sorry I missed the first email or two and didnt realise you were trying
the latest from the intel site.
Intel (well an intel employee but as part of his day job from what I
understand from his posts,) maintains the driver in the source tree.
The last I remember him saying about wake on lan for em was
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009461.html

As to why FreeBSD isnt using the one currently on the intel site, not
certain but it may just be a case of it needing updating/committing, as
an email from the maintainer
http://markmail.org/message/u4crubkss3354nlt  indicates from a previous
similar enquiry.

hope that helps,