remote operation or admin

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 18 08:28:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:43:49PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I have 4 computers, 1 big FreeBSD-current (4 x86 procs), 2 GentooLinux (1
> is a dial AMD Opteron, the other a dual older x86), and 1 MacOSX (dual
> PPC).  I was thinking about looking for two items, I'm not sure if I want
> one or both of them: either some software to let me merely remotely manage
> them (public software, mind) or, even better, something to get these
> disparate hardwares to be able to work together, and (as much as possible)
> to be able to share work.
>
> What might be the best, in terms of ability, and especially the ability to
> make these work together?  If they're not a FreeBSD port, as long as
> they're reasonably stable, I don't mind porting things, but it needs to be
> stable on all those CPUs.  Could you reo\commend me something?  I'll go
> chase each one down, I won't jump on you if you're wrong, gimme your
> guesses, ok?

I don't understand your question.  It's almost like you're asking two
questions:

1) How can I manage all of these machines remotely?  (E.g. ssh, VNC,
serial console, KVM, etc.)

2) How can I harness the power of all of these machines simultaneously?
(e.g. some form of CPU clustering)

Can you elaborate?