vkernel & GSoC, some questions

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 16 12:56:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

> 16.03.08, 09:30, "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org>:
>
>>> Add virtual kernel (vkernel) support to FreeBSD for the i386 and amd64
>>> architectures.
>>>
>>> The vkernel support in question is the one found in DragonFlyBSD.
>>
>> Not being up on DragonFlyBSD, can you better describe what "vkernel" is?
>
> vkernel is similar to User Mode Linux technology. You can boot vkernel as a
> user mode process. I think it will be good to have similar in FreeBSD. There
> are several links:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2007-01/msg00237.html
> http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/articles/vkernel/vkernel.shtml

Another avenue to consider is the Linux KVM virtualization technology, which
is seeing a high level of interest in the Linux community and sounds
increasingly mature and well-exercised.  It would also offer interesting
migration benefits for Linux users wanting to try FreeBSD, allowing them to
trivially create new FreeBSD installs under their existing Linux install.  We
had an SoC project last year but I'm not sure what the outcome was; it would
be useful to give Fabio a ping and see how things are going.  Obviously,
anyone doing this project would need to manage the license issues involved
carefully.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge