OpenBSD sdiff Question

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Fri Mar 14 23:45:02 UTC 2008

Greetings-

I am currently working on replacing the GNU version of sdiff with a version
of sdiff that was released into the public domain and is used in OpenBSD

Xin LI has been guiding me along with the project and he suggested I post
here to see what you guys think.

I achieve 100% compatability with the GNU version, I need to add
-v/--version and the issue I ran into is that since this program would
become part of the base os, what exactly should be displayed.

My idea is to simply print __FreeBSD_version but I am open to other
suggestions.

For reference:
$ sdiff -v
sdiff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.7
Written by Thomas Lord.

And my port from OpenBSD:
$ ./sdiff -v
sdiff (BSD diffutils) 602111
Written by Raymond Lai.

This work has been released into the public domain.

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer