eeePC 900 with SSD && reducing writes

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Jun 24 13:11:54 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have installed FreeBSD 7.0R on that eeePC 900 and because of the
limited life time of the SSD (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling )
I disabled some logging stuff which I don't need on that tiny laptop,
for example:

syslogd_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="NONE"
cron_enable="NO"
newsyslog_enable="NO"

as well I have:

- not created any swap partition (the box runs fine with 1 GByte RAM)
- mount the file systems with 'noatime'
- put /tmp into memory file system with 128 MByte

any other ideas how to reduces unnecessary often-writes?

I'd also like to get rid of 'lastlog' and 'wtmp' but even if the man
page claims that they will not be created if they don't exist, they
come up again and again;

another candidate of not needed log is
/var/log/Xorg.n.log ...

thx