moving FreeBSD installation disk1 to an USB stick

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Thu Jun 19 09:14:33 UTC 2008

Hello Matthias,

* Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm preparing the installation of FreeBSD 7.0 on an Asus eeePC which has
> no CD/DVD drive for the installation (and I have no external CD driver
> with USB):
> http://www.laptoppen.nl/product-260-Asus-EEE-PC-900-Zwart.html
>
> My idea is to 'copy' somehow the FreeBSD 7.0 installation disk1 to an
> USB stick of 1 GByte; there is some kind of recipe how to put a boot-able
> system onto such an USB stick, like;
> http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.questions/msg/5c759b1c87376b22
> but this is not what I want; I want to boot the stick (of course) and
> run the 'sysinstall' having the complete disk1 on the stick;
>
> maybe it is an option making only the file system on the stick and the
> boot sector and fill in a dump of the file system of disk1, with some
> minor changes that after booting it uses the USB as CD device?
>
> any other ideas?

You could consider installing FreeBSD by hand. Just make sure you
get a bootable FreeBSD system on that USB stick and do this:

	bsdlabel -w -B /dev/ad0 # assuming ad0 is the eeepc flash
	# just do bsdlabel -e /dev/ad0 if you want to add multiple slices
	for i in a d e f g ... # any partitions you have
	do
		newfs -U -O 2 /dev/ad0$i
	done

	# mount all your partitions in /new
	mkdir /new
	mount /dev/ad0a /new
	mkdir /new/var
	mount /dev/ad0d /var

	# make sure you have the `base' and `kernels' directories on
	# your USB stick and do this:
	cd /X.Y-RELEASE/base
	DESTDIR=/new sh install.sh
	cd ../kernels