Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 3 17:51:18 PST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I had a Linux shared library problem on NetBSD that I think it might
> be helpful to mention.
>
> thunderbird (and firefox) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to pick up their own
> modules.  When acroread is invoked to display a pdf attachment,
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is still set, and this causes acroread to read a BSD
> library.  My workaround is to use a script for acroread that cleans
> the environment.
>
> I think this is a thunderbird bug; the environment of invoked programs
> should match the environment as of thunderbird's invocation.

I had to make a change[1] to the Linux UT99 binary during install to
stop it from attempting to use FreeBSD's libGL.so due to its hard-coding
of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  It may be evil, but it worked.  :)

Once my system's SATA DVD drive works with RELENG_7, I will try to see
if I can fix linux-nwnclient.  Skype may have the same "solution".

Mike, I Cc'd you to see if you can try using sed like I did in the
linux-ut port to "fix" nwmain.  Using strings, you can see if
/usr/local/lib is hard-coded into the binary and replace it with an
equal length string that does not point to anything.

Sean
   1. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/games/linux-ut/Makefile.diff?r1=1.5;r2=1.6
--
scf at FreeBSD.org