Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Sat Dec 1 09:51:03 PST 2007

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:11:39 -0500 Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> I had a Linux shared library problem on NetBSD that I think it might be
> helpful to mention.

And I have pretty much the exact same bug in OSX.

> thunderbird (and firefox) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to pick up their own
> modules.  When acroread is invoked to display a pdf attachment,
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is still set, and this causes acroread to read a BSD
> library.  My workaround is to use a script for acroread that cleans the
> environment.

s/thunderbird/claws-mail/
s/acroread/dillo/

In my case, the problme isn't emulation-related; it's that claws-mail
uses a different version of some library than the system has. Dillo
uses it anyway, then fails to find the features that were there when
it was built, and exits.

> I think this is a thunderbird bug; the environment of invoked programs
> should match the environment as of thunderbird's invocation.

In general, yes. But in these cases, smarter library resolution (or
maybe it's to smart) could also solve the problem.

      <mike