FreeBSD 6.1, crashes and a lack of vmcores

Matt Ruzicka matt at frii.com
Tue May 30 09:27:22 PDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, soralx at cydem.org wrote:
> 0. how many hours did you run memtest86 for?

One of my co-workers ran the test so I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty
certain it was at least over night (so probably 15-16 hours).  We also
ended up swapping that RAM out with another box and the problem did not
move to the new box.

> 1. did you try to swap the mainboard?

Yeah we actually ended up buying an entirely new chassis (MB, power
supplies, case).

> 2. do you suspect any corelation between net traffic intensity,type,etc,
>   and crashes?

It is possible because we do a TON of traffic through these boxes, but
things like mbufs and other limited resources seem to be ok.  It is
definitely possible I'm not looking in the right place for something else
that would be causing this.  However, as I mentioned earlier, this is one
box out of a farm that is acting particularly less stable and all the
boxes should ideally be receiving similar traffic loads.

> 3. disabling ACPI made no change?

Disabling ACPI resolved a number of noisy boot time messages, but didn't
give us any noticeable edge in stability.

Now that the long weekend is over I'll likely have some time to try a few
more things related to the drive.  I suspect I might have inadvertently
introduced a negative variable in the drive swapping I did.  I'd like to
make this last change before digging too much deeper unless the trace data
gives anyone else any clues.

Thanks everyone for you input.

Matt Ruzicka - Senior Systems Administrator
Front Range Internet, Inc.
matt at frii.net - (970) 212-0728