Programs not accepting input?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 27 00:53:44 UTC 2006

On Sunday, 26 March 2006 at 19:17:19 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-Mar-26 17:50:09 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> In the last month or two I've seen increasing occurrences of programs
>> refusing keyboard input after they've been running for a while
>> (between hours and days).  They still respond to the mouse.  At first
>> I thought it was hardware, but it happens on a number of different
>> machines, and only with certain programs, all of them X clients.
>> Here's an overview (system names are simply to show that they're
>> different machines).
>
> Is the problem that the clients aren't taking focus or have focus
> but aren't accepting keyboard input?

The latter.  It's not a question of focus.

> My work system runs separate X servers on two heads (rather than
> ximerama) and I have problems with windows occasionally refusing to
> accept focus after I move the pointer from screen to screen (though
> I can get an alternative window to accept focus and then switch back
> to the window I originally wanted).  This started after an X.org
> upgrade but I'm not sure which one.

Interesting.  I've seen this one too: my mail window is at the left of
the right-hand monitor on wantadilla (:0.1).  Frequently when I move
from :0.0 to 0:1, the window manager will highlight the window on
:0.1, but focus remains with some window on :0.0.  If I move further
right and then back again, focus catches up with the correct window.
That's mainly irritating; the problem I describe above is annoying.

>> The fact that new firefox windows accept input suggests that it's
>> somewhere in X.
>
> What X server?

echunga:

  vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
  vendor release number:    60801000
  X.Org version: 6.8.1

wantadilla:

  vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
  vendor release number:    60802000
  X.Org version: 6.8.2

I don't think that the difference in version numbers is the issue.

Greg