[RFE] dhclient(8) should send hostname

joerg at britannica.bec.de joerg at britannica.bec.de
Fri Mar 17 15:12:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 04:02:17PM +0100, Frank Behrens wrote:
> I propose a change, that dhclient sends always the current hostname
> to the server, the value can be overwritten in dhclient.conf. I see
> no negative impact, because the server has always the possibility to
> reject the name and to choose another one. It would simplify the
> setup and lead to the same behaviour as in other (operating) systems.
> A possible (I'm sure not the best) solution I appended as attachment.

I object this, since it is one of the most annoying default behaviours
of Windows. It is the first thing I disable on all clients -- I have a
static name mapping, why should I update the DNS zone?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of zones where the
host update request is ignored far outweights the number of
configurations where it is wanted. At least Bind sometimes like to whine
about it.

Joerg