[RFE] dhclient(8) should send hostname

Frank Behrens frank at pinky.sax.de
Fri Mar 17 15:02:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

I tried to setup a new FreeBSD 6.1-BETA2 client and enabled in
sysinstall DHCP configuration for the interface. It was no problem
and the system runs fine.

But then I was surprised that my nameserver
FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE-200602270917 with BIND9 and
"Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.3"
did not know the newly connected system, but a simple win98 notebook
is immediately visible in DNS.

I found that the dhclient does not send a hostname by default to the
server, so the server does not know the name. Of course you can enter
a "send host-name "xxx"" in dhclient.conf, but this makes the setup
more complicated.

I propose a change, that dhclient sends always the current hostname
to the server, the value can be overwritten in dhclient.conf. I see
no negative impact, because the server has always the possibility to
reject the name and to choose another one. It would simplify the
setup and lead to the same behaviour as in other (operating) systems.
A possible (I'm sure not the best) solution I appended as attachment.

If there are no objections from this list I will create a PR, but
from my earlier experiences a PR without discussion is in many cases
useless.

Regards,
   Frank
--
Frank Behrens, Osterwieck, Germany
PGP-key 0x5B7C47ED on public servers available.