6.1-PRE boot locks up, using USB keyboard

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Wed Mar 15 17:12:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:46:01AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > I'm using a USB keyboard, no PS/2.  I've tried the hint to disable kbdmux,
> > I've tried with and without selecting the "Boot w/ USB keyboard" and the
> > machine locks up in the same spot no matter what I try.  The same hardware
> > boots just fine with 6.0-RELEASE (although I need to choose the USB
> > keyboard option if I plan on typing).  Any suggestions?
>
> What if you turn off USB keyboard support in your BIOS?

My BIOS (Asus A8N-E rev 1010) has no option for disabling USB keyboard
support, but I can either disable the USB controller or disable the USB
legacy support.  I doubt either of these is desirable.  Fortunately, I
discovered the problem..

The ukbd device is compiled into GENERIC.  I also had ukbd_load="YES" in my
loader.conf so it would be compatible with a custom kernel.  When GENERIC
boots, I get the message that ukbd is already loaded ("file exists").  I
would expect that the kernel just ignores the attempt, but apparently there
is an adverse effect.  Whenever ukbd is loaded by /boot/loader and that
device already exists in the kernel, the boot locks up after:

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0

when using a USB keyboard.  I would think this is a bug.  It is 100%
repeatable for me.  If I comment out the line in /boot/loader.conf, the
system boots nicely.  Perhaps this is related to kbdmux(4), but I'm not
sure.  I've also noticed related problems when trying to load umass and ums
through the boot loader and manually (I will try to reproduce these).
Maybe the problem is in the USB layer??

FYI, I tried this on 6.1-BETA4, fresh from the ISOs.

-- Rick C. Petty