world's toolchain & CPUTYPE

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 1 00:14:49 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 01:15:02PM +0300, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> > What's really fun is tricking the build system so you can cross build
> > on one system, but native install on another from the same tree...
>
> I wondered, too, if it would be possible to cross-build install
> tools so that they could run on the target system, but I haven't
> investigated this way yet.  Do you have any ideas/recipes?  Thanks!

Well, the tools you want were already built, for the target host.
But you might not be able to install and run them (they may require
a new syscall, some new shared libraries, etc.).  The tools that
you intend to run on host "I" during the install should either be
compiled on this host (using its libraries, preferably statically
linked), or on a compatible host in a compatible build environment.
So it all depends on how similar the hosts "B" and "I" and their
build environments are.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov