world's toolchain & CPUTYPE

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 1 00:03:16 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:02:26AM +0300, Alex Semenyaka wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:19:11AM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > Isn't is reasonable to add corresponding optional functionality
> > > into the buld process?
> > No.
>
> Why? :)

I think I've explained this in the non-quoted here part.

> > > For example, if -DSTATIC_TOOLCHAIN (or
> > > pick any other name) is set, then:
> > > 1) build toolchain statically linked
> > This is already the case (${XMAKE} has -DNO_SHARED).
>
> Oh, great. Could we also add -DNO_MAKE_CONF then?
> Or at least -DTOOLCHAIN_NO_MAKE_CONF :)
> That's would be enough. Or do I miss something?

What problem are you trying to attack, I fail to see?
-DNO_CPU_CFLAGS is already there, if that's what you mean:

BMAKE=          MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=${WORLDTMP} \
                ${BMAKEENV} ${MAKE} -f Makefile.inc1 \
                DESTDIR= \
                BOOTSTRAPPING=${OSRELDATE} \
                -DNO_HTML -DNO_INFO -DNO_LINT -DNO_MAN -DNO_NLS -DNO_PIC \
                -DNO_PROFILE -DNO_SHARED -DNO_CPU_CFLAGS -DNO_WARNS
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

XMAKE=          TOOLS_PREFIX=${WORLDTMP} ${BMAKE} -DNO_FORTRAN -DNO_GDB
                                         ^^^^^^^^

... and has the following effect:

$ make -V CFLAGS CPUTYPE=opteron
-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=opteron
$ make -V CFLAGS CPUTYPE=opteron -DNO_CPU_CFLAGS
-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe

But it doesn't really matter since building host's libraries that
ARE used to build toolchain might have been built using optimized
CFLAGS.  See other posts where people go into more details what
should be the conditions to allow NFS-mounted src/ installs.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org